Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 2&3 - Orientation and stuff

So dinner with Mme Roux and her friends was great. They got me a little tipsy, which was fun, fed me 4-6 glasses of wine (all different kinds), a glass of whiskey beforehand and a small shot-sized glass of this prune liqueur which was awful. We ate "Greves" which is a kind of bird. A huge pain in the butt to eat (more than lobster). It was alright tasting, definitely not my favorite, but in the spirit of trying new things, I did. Then I came home and went to sleep around midnight.

Yesterday, I woke up, had a quick breakfast, took a shower, and then Mme Roux went to pick up her daughter in law, grandson, Martin, and their American student, and they all came over for lunch. We ate the salmon I brought from home, but I stupidly bought normal salmon instead of smoked salmon. Oh well. Then we had this open house thing at the school, and Martin dropped the other girl and I off. We were joined later by Mme. Roux and the other host, Francoise, but they took Catherine (the other American) home with them because she didn't know her way back on her own, and I thought that I did.

I ended up meeting this kid Evan from Vermont who goes to school at Tuffs, and we met these two girls, Heather and Natalie, who have a flat instead of a homestay. We ended up sitting at a cafe with them and tried Patisse (a typical provencal drink which tastes like black liquorice and is then watered down considerably). After that we had this amazing pizza and bought two cheap bottles of wine and a bottle of whiskey, and went back to their apartment to eat and drink and be marry. I had arranged that I would come home around 11 or 12. So I left around midnight, not long after we finished the bottle of whiskey (we finished both bottles of wine first). I didn't feel drunk, but I still got lost coming home, it took me well over an hour instead of twenty minutes. And it turns out, I was really close, and going in circles for at least 30 minutes. But now I'll never be lost again.

Today I got my keys to the apartment and went for orientation at 9 am. It was a long, relatively boring day. We'll see what tonight and tomorrow brings. I think I might go out with some people, depending on what they want to do.

A la prochaine! Or - in english - deuces!

No comments:

Post a Comment